Monday 8 April 2013

Abstract nouns in American poetry

"In spite of the risks involved in broad generalisation, let me start with a premise: while much of UK poetry seems to run scared of big abstract nouns, fearful of being sucked into their black hole of mish-mashed connotations and interpretations, American poetry seems to have long overcome such hang-ups and self-limitation."

The above is the first paragraph of my review of Brad Johnson's The Dichotomy Paradox for Sphinx. You can read the whole piece here, alongside alternative views from Matt Merritt and Helen Evans.

In spite of many possible exceptions, am I right? If so, why?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how to respond to your generalization, but it reminded me of Jeffrey Side on Bob Dylan a few years ago:

    http://www.argotistonline.co.uk/Side%20essay%202.htm

    ReplyDelete