Sunday 1 October 2017

A poet's dream

This afternoon, I know full well I should post about my terrific evening in Leicester on Monday, meeting lots of new and old friends such as Maria and Jonathan Taylor, Jane Commane, Roy Marshall, Rebecca Bird, Romalyn Ante and Jayne Stanton (apologies to anyone I've missed out!), all in the context of the chance to read as a guest poet at Shindig and allow the poems from The Knives of Villalejo to stretch their legs.

And I also know I should be thanking Trish Harewood for her generous hospitality, commitment to everything poetic and excellent introduction to my reading at CB Poetry in Cambridge on Tuesday: a lovely venue with more lovely people involved.

However, instead of all the above, I simply cannot resist the selfish temptation to flaunt the fulfilment of one of my dreams. Last Wednesday, while visiting Cambridge the day after my reading, I popped in to Heffers Bookshop, where I inevitably headed for the poetry section. A vain streak, almost certainly in vain, led me to run my eyes down to S for Stewart...and I couldn't believe it! Two copies of The Knives of Villalejo were there on the shelves!

I must have been making such a berk of myself that a member of staff soon approached me. On hearing my explanation that I'd never seen my collection in a bookshop before, he promptly asked me to sign both copies and he immediately placed them in a display at the entrance to the poetry section. Don't believe me? Well, I don't believe myself either, so here are the photos as everlasting proof:


3 comments:

  1. One of those rare moments, Matthew... many congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. You're so right. Poetry's usually a solitary, isolated task, so such moments are especially treasured.

      Delete
  2. Dear Matthew

    Congratulations! When I was at Cambridge, students could 'buy' books from Heffers on tick. Being a bibliomaniac, I soon ran up a debt with them I was unable to repay so I had to return the books. I have recently republished my 'Homage To Edward Lear' on Amazon Kindle.

    Best wishes from Simon R. Gladdish

    ReplyDelete