Wednesday 13 September 2023

i.m. Tobias Hill (1970-2023)

Back in the 1990s, when I was starting out on the poetry scene, Tobias Hill had just emerged as a stellar figure. I recall being more than slightly jealous and envious of  his good looks, flowing locks of hair, major prizes and subsequent contract with OUP.

And then there were the terrific poems. His writing was extremely visual, packed with startling images and turns of phrase, while his poems about life in Japan really hit home, especially as I myself was newly arrived in Spain at the time.

Over the years, he moved on. From OUP to Salt and Faber on the demise of the former’s poetry list. And from poetry to prose, like so many others, forging a successful career for himself as a novelist.

However, I was especially reminded of his poetry a couple of years before the pandemic hit, when I acquired several volumes from Peggy Chapman-Andrews’ private library. Chapman-Andrews had been the long-serving secretary of the Bridport Prize, which Tobias Hill won in his early years. In fact, that triumph pretty much set him on his way.

Anyway, back to those volumes. Among them was a copy of his first short collection of poetry from a long-vanished small publisher. And tucked inside was hand-written correspondence from Tobias Hill to Peggy Chapman-Andrews, reacting to news of his win. The young poet’s excitement shone from every word!

Today’s belated announcement of his death in August follows on from several years of little news about Hill since a stroke in 2014. I’ve been keeping an eye out for news about him over the last few years, putting him name into Twitter searches every now and then in the vain hope of finding he might be writing again. Nevertheless, all I encountered were fewer and fewer references to his work.

Yet again, I’m reminded of the ephemeral nature of poetic fame. Tobias Hill was a significant poet less than twenty years ago, a point of reference for many readers of the genre. In 2023, his work seems to have faded from view. Here’s hoping the grim news of his death might at least remind people of his excellent poetry…

1 comment:

  1. What a shame. That is so sad. I'm grieved that he's gone, and so young. As usual, my immediate reaction is to think I should have noticed him more. And your post has helped to remedy that at least posthumously. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete